This Spanish-English Tarot Deck is based upon a Liguria-Piedmontese Italian deck first printed in 1736 from crude wood blocks. The original deck is now located in the Museo Fournier, Vitoria, Spain. As was customary at the time, a ribbon on the dos de oros (two of pentacles) gives the deck maker and city of origin: "Tarot - Fabrigado por Heraclio Fournier - Vitoria - Espana." The titles of the major arcana cards are given in both English and Spanish. The court card names are given in Spanish only. The Spanish names for the suits are: Bastos, Copas, Espadas and Oros. Bastos are curved and Espadas are straight. A small roman numeral at the bottom of each numbered suit card shows its number and orientation. This deck is available as the Spanish Tarot (Fournier version) and the Spanish-English Tarot (U. S. Games version).
||Card Back Design
|2 3/8" x 4 3/8"
||U. S. Games
|Order - Amazon
|2 3/8" x 4 3/8"
Also Included: title card, identification card
- Spanish-English Tarot - instruction booklet (54 pages each language - Spanish, English)
- Spanish Tarot - instruction booklet (about 27 pages each language - Spanish, English, French)
- Major Arcana Card Names (Spanish):
El Loco, El Mago, La Sacerdotisa, La Emperatriz, El Emperador,
El Sumo Sacerdote, Los Enamorados, El Carro, Fuerza (Card 11),
El Ermitano, La Rueda de la Fortuna, Justicia (Card 8),
El Colgado, Death (No Titles), Templanza, El Diablo, La Torre,
La Estrella, La Luna, El Sol, El Juicio, El Mundo
- Major Arcana Card Names (English):
Fool, Magician, High Priestess, Empress, Emperor,
High Priest, Lovers, Chariot, Strength (Card 11),
Hermit, Wheel of Fortune, Justice (Card 8),
Hanged Man, Death (No Titles), Temperance, Devil, Tower,
Star, Moon, Sun, Judgment, World
- Suit Names: Bastos (Wands), Copas (Cups), Espadas (Swords), Oros (Pentacles)
- Court Cards: El Rey (King), Reina (Queen), Caballo (Knight), Sota (Page)
- Language of Card Titles: Major Arcana - English and Spanish, Court Cards - Spanish only
- Style of Numbered Suit Cards: suit symbols
- Other Comments:
The Spanish-English Tarot is a U. S. Games version of the Fournier Spanish Tarot. The main differences are the instruction booklets and the packaging (box).
Links to Other Sites:
Sample Card Images:
Reference: The Encyclopedia of Tarot: Volume 1 by Stuart Kaplan, pg. 277